Seitan is perfect for those recipes that call for a ‘meaty’ taste and texture.
You can cook seitan in many ways. In this picture, I cook it with barbeque spices in a frying pan accompanied with quinoa and salad.
Making your own seitan is very easy. Seitan is full of protein, so it is great for plant based, vegetarians and vegans.
Servings: 9 servings
- 430 grams Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
- 380 ml Water
- 500 ml Vegetable Broth
- Mix the vital wheat gluten flour and the water. Stir to form a soft dough
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it for at least 5 minutes
- Allow the dough to rest for another 5 minutes
- Heat up the vegetable broth in a pot and bring to boil
- Low the heat to a low simmer
- Cut the dough and add it to the broth
- Allow the broth to simmer for 1 hour uncovered (do not let it boil)
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool
- Cut the seitan and cook as desired (You can freeze it or keep it in the fridge to up to 5 days)
|*Please note the nutritional information within this table is an approximate estimate.|